It is cold in this part of the world, but blankets and throws are a key accessory in the Nordic home whether it’s freezing cold or clear blue skies.
Luckily, we have an incredible range to choose from – different colours, shapes and sizes, materials, prices and for different purposes.
- Top Picks
- Luxury Blankets for the Home
- Blankets & Throws for the Starter Home
- Blankets & Throws as Accessories
- Blankets & Throws for Comfort
- Comfort vs Style
What do we need a blanket for – is it to help us wrap up warm on the couch in front of the TV, is it to cover a stain on an armchair, to add color to a minimalist or ‘neutral’ room?
Here are some of our favourites from H&M’s fleece blanket to Hermès’ exquisite Avalon collection – all of which are perfect for the Scandi looking home.
See also our own 5 online throw and blanket picks for the season at the bottom of this post – with images, descriptions and ratings.
Luxury Blankets for the Home
Hermès (pictured right) stands for pure style and browsing through their blankets section is a joy – some a expensive and out of reach for most people’s budget but their collection is a good guide in what a great blanket or throw should look and feel like. It’s the Avalon III throw blanket in wool and cashmere – delicious quality and a design which, although Hermès is a French brand, would look perfectly at home on any Scandi sofa or chair.
The brand’s connection with horses and riding – many of Hermes’ pieces feature a horse and they are experts at riding gear and fashion – is a charming link to nature and animals.
Another brand with ties to the horse and horse riding world is Ralph Lauren – and they too are blanket and throw experts. Almost impossible to go wrong with these brands, and Ralph Lauren Home is slightly more affordable.
Ralph Lauren’s Pink Pony cotton throw blanket
Blankets and Throws for the Starter Home
At the other end the of the price spectrum is this adorable dotted fleece blanket by Swedish brand H&M in the color of the season, dusty moss green.
At less than £10 or around $10, it is a bargain. Fleece doesn’t pretend to be cashmere, but it’s soft and warm, even if it doesn’t last forever.
Here, picking up a seasonal blanket at cut price is a smart move.
Blankets and Throws as Accessories – Smart Ways to brighten up a tired-looking Interior
If you want to really make a statement with your blanket or throw – and it’s not just for comfort alone – then the Scandi Boho look may be for you. Vibrant colors and patterns will pick up the mood and give your room a fresh twist at a good price and without having to call in the decorators.
Picture by Lauren Fleischmann
If your home is in neutral colors think zigzag patterns, block colors and strips for your blanket. Either go bold wiht strong shades or play it safe with more earthy tones…
Comfort can be expensive – nothing beats a cashmere blanket but it is exponentially more expensive than a cotton or wool blanket.
Blankets and Throws for Comfort – Choosing Substance over Style
As Scandis, though, we would never sacrifice style entirely for comfort – part of the pleasure of the things we surround ourselves with is aesthetic, so finding the blanket or rug that ticks all the boxes can be a challenge.
– A fleece blanket is on our favourites list for pure comfort – lightweight and soft, but in our experience these are not always the most handsome blankets or throws on the market
– A wool blanket or throw is possibly the most common – even if the wool is mixed with other materials – often a touch of cashmere…so marketeers can call it a “cashmere blanket” even if it’s just 30%. Wool can be scratchy – some people get rashes from a wool shawl or blanket. It can be caused, not because of an allergy, but because wool hairs are spikey which rub or scratch against the skin. This often happens with a new item that hasn’t been worn in yet. However, when cashmere is blended with the wool at a good percentage, it softens the material
– Cashmere is, of course, the most attractive material coming mainly from goats in the Gobi desert in northern China. It is pure softness, but also high maintenance. Professional dry cleaning only
– Knitted blankets and throws are much in vogue in the Nordic countries – big loop knits in tempered colors. The knit has that authentic look and feel about it – as if it’s handmade, which often it is. There is something special about a blanket or a throw which is made by a friend or relative – it makes it more than just a blanket
Picture by Sarah Boudreau